[arch-general] Software RAID w/ 4 Drives Fails

Carlos Williams carloswill at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 11:13:16 EST 2010

I am successfully able to install Arch Linux with 3 drives in a RAID5
array on Arch Linux using:

mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=5 --raid-devices=3 /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb2 /dev/sdc2

Now when I attempt the install with 4 physical disks and add the same
command above with just attaching /dev/sdd2 and changing the # of
devices from 3 to 4, I get a failure. When I reboot the system I lose
keyboard and it asks me to enter a run level. Obviously I can't
troubleshoot more because I have no keyboard.

What command should I use to create a RAID5 with more disk space (no
hot spare) using 4 drives? My commands and install method work perfect
with 3 drives but 4 and the system crashes upon reboot.

Any tips?