[arch-general] Boot Device Didn't Show Up

Carlos Williams carloswill at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 20:43:42 EST 2010

Every time I try and install Arch Linux 2009.08 Netinst .ISO disk on
my newly built PC hardware, I get the following error:

Waiting for boot device...
Error: Boot device didn't show up after 30 seconds...
Falling back to interactive prompt.
You can try and fix the problem manually, log out when you're finished.
ramfs$

The same ISO works perfect on my laptop and other PC's but on my
personal $1,000 PC, it doesn't. I can't figure this out. I also tried
the 2009.08 Core disk and I get the same thing as with the 'Netinst'
disk.

I don't know if it's because I have a S-ATA DVD-ROM drive on this
machine. I can boot from disk and see the Arch install options...even
play "Space Invaders". But when I select the install Arch Linux
options, it boots into a 'Live' environment and then hangs on the
error above. Someone please help...