[arch-general] Xscreensaver corrupts ext4 / partition

Javier Vasquez j.e.vasquez.v at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 22:14:10 EST 2010

Hi all,

I have 4 boxes, all with the same partitioning scheme and using ext4
for all of them.  This weird thing has only showed up in one of them.

Some time back while playing some video and with xscreensaver active,
the timeout for xscreensaver expired and then password was required...
 Bad thing that xscreensaver corrupted / so that it couldn't be
unlocked, and under console there was no way to loging, some misplaced
inodes or something...

Hard reboot was required, and then at first /tmp was so corrupted that
it was necessary a phisical fix...

After all that, what happens is that whenever launching
xscreensaver-demo, if I had a terminal open then doing cat, or any
other thing fails, since no libraries are found...  If at that moment
I go to console, the message I get is ext4 /dev/sda7 (partition for /)
is corrupted with some inode misplacement or similar...  Then at that
time there's nothing else to do but to hard reset...  BTW, when
is:

(xscreensaver-demo:2830): libglade-WARNING **: Could not load support
for `gnome': libgnome.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file
or directory

I think that is due exactly for the same thing, that ext4 got
corrupted, since by doing cat or any other command shows that
libraries are not found or something...

Has anyone seen this?  Any way to get xscreensaver working back?  It
was actually working before, and it is working on all other boxes.
Weird thing is that without xscreensaver I don't get any problem, so
my work around right now is not to use it.

I initially got under the impression that the ext4 corruption wa sdue
to something else, so I re-installed all packages, but that didn't
help (got list of packages, and install them all through pacman -S)...

If this is known and there's way to overcome it, other than just not
using xscreesaver at all, please let me know...

Thanks,

--
Javier.