[arch-general] chsh, linux32 and $PATH

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Sun Jan 24 22:53:16 EST 2010

On 25/01/10 12:23, Tavian Barnes wrote:
> 2010/1/24 Dan McGee<dpmcgee at gmail.com>:
>>
>> You probably want a login shell, e.g. /bin/bash -l

Thanks.  That fixed the PATH issue I was having but it turns out that
was not my real issue...  see below

> I'd go with (untested):
>
> #!/bin/sh
> exec linux32 /bin/bash "$@"

This fixes my real issue but then the issue with my path remains.

When I use "/bin/bash -l", I can not login to XFCE using slim.  Via
startx or startxfce4 is file.  Using "$@", fixes that but I still have
the issue with the $PATH not being set.  It turns out there is this in
/etc/slim.conf

login_cmd           exec /bin/bash -login ~/.xinitrc %session

Without changing that line, I get this in my slim log:

error setting MTRR (base = 0xd0000000, size = 0x10000000, type = 1)
Inappropriate ioctl for device (25)

changing that to have either "/bin/bash32" or "linux32 /bin/bash" does
not work as it appears slim runs something like:

/bin/bash /bin/bash32 -c <config line>

to actually launch the session.  GDM works but 65MB for a login manager
seems a bit much.  So close...

Allan