[arch-general] An old, tiresome discussion: cdrtools vs cdrkit

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Mon Jan 25 11:46:00 EST 2010

On 26/01/10 02:15, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> The FSF does not own any code in cdrtools and the FSF does not publish
> cdrtools, so it is obvious that the FSF is irrelevant for your discussion.

Really? I thought the discussion was whether your code with its license
is legally allowed to link to GPL code.  Given the FSF is the authority
on the GPL, I thought it was relevant to the discussion.  But now you
have said otherwise so I must be wrong... </sarcasm>

You have a vested interest in the software and Sun has a vested interest
in the CDDL.  Neither of you are really unbiased in this issue so I will
continue to down-weight your enthusiast opinions accordingly.
Similarly, the FSF has an vested interest in the GPL, and their opinion
should be down-weighted too.  The multiplier I chose for all this
down-weighting is zero.

Unfortunately, on this issue, no-one I would consider roughly unbiased
has looked into it.  Thus, I am left with no opinions to listen to.  I
am left to conclude that my best course of action is to take what is the
lowest risk and not distribute cdrtools.  Unless someone can point me to
a source of information whose opinion is worth listening to.

Allan