[arch-general] An old, tiresome discussion: cdrtools vs cdrkit

Kitty secacat at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 11:49:38 EST 2010

I guess I'm new to an old discussion, so just to catch up:
cdrtools: original package, active devel, possible licence probs
cdr-kit: the fork, inactive devel, exists to be included in debian

This seems to be a fairly straight write up of the circumstances that
led to the fork.
http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/linux-dist.html

So *if* cdr-kit is as buggy and out of date as proposed by the cdrtools
devs, then it really shouldn't be in extra. Coming to this discussion
with the baggage of past arguements, I see the following outcomes:
1. Leave it alone, easiest but shipping the broken is bad
2. Move cdr-kit to AUR, next easiest but sub-optimal, no way to use
    pacman to get burning tools
3. Take the cdrtools devs at their word and dump cdr-kit.

FWIW, I'm in favor of #3, and practically, the other bigger distros
that have switched back to cdrtools are fatter targets for any legal
action. Furthermore, who exactly would be doing the suing? If it's the
GNU, then their goal would be to fix the licence problems, not collect
money. If that happened, put it all in AUR and wash our hands.
--
Kitty