[arch-general] First Time Arch w/ Gnome Installed

Carlos Williams carloswill at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 14:21:45 EST 2010

This is my 1st time ever installing Arch Linux with GDM / Gnome
desktop environment. I did not install 'gnome-extra' package because I
don't want all the useless applications. I prefer to only install what
I need. I am have been using an Ubuntu 10.4 workstations and got
everything working on my new Arch system. It is very fast even
installed the latest nVidia drivers from their site. My only issue I
have is the fonts look horrible. I did go to 'System > Preferences >
Appearance > Fonts tab' and set the fonts to 'Sub Pixel Smoothing' for
LCD's but I am missing the smoothness and glossiness (Anti Aliasing)
that Ubuntu had. My Arch fonts still look very rough and 1993'ish. I
don't know what I can do to make my Gnome / Desktop environment appear
more polished and cleaner. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Do I need a specific WM or special decorative package? I work a lot on
my workstation and need it to be pleasing to the eyes. The fonts I
have don't make my system look very appealing. I know it sounds stupid
but I really like my DE to be pleasing on my eyes since I use if for
hours at a time...

Thanks for any help!