[arch-general] An old, tiresome discussion: cdrtools vs cdrkit

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Wed Jan 27 04:19:46 EST 2010

Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 12:12 PM, Kitty <secacat at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Well, if nothing else, I've learned a couple of things from this thread:
> >
> > 1) FUD works, especially if the FUDer is with a notable distro.
> > 2) AUR is my friend.
>
> Well, if nothing else, I've learned that having patience is not common place...
>
> Yeesh man, do you expect things to change overnight?

The attacks from the hostile downstream packager started in May 2004. The buggy
and unmaintained fork was created in September 2006. We now have the end of
January 2010. I would not claim that things happened "overnight"....

BTW: when the fork was created, I was in hope that people would understand that
it is a dead fake at the very latest within the following year. It is really
amazing how much pain some users are willing to last. Do you like to run a Linux
from September 2004 today? People who still use cdrkit do something very similar
except that cdrkit added bugs to the old cdrtools version.

Arch Linux is of course free not to decide to publish recent software.....

Jörg