[arch-general] An old, tiresome discussion: cdrtools vs cdrkit

kludge drkludge at rat-patrol.org
Wed Jan 27 11:18:08 EST 2010

On 01/27/2010 09:49 AM, Heiko Baums wrote:
> Am Wed, 27 Jan 2010 10:17:01 -0500
> schrieb pyther <pyther at pyther.net>:
>
>> Look at the high-profile case of cdrtools vs cdrkit, though; it is
>> huge. You stated that sun spent 3 months looking into it. If for some
>> odd reason someone decide to sue the arch project there is a big risk
>> for Aaron and the maintainer of the package. At the very least they
>> would likely have to consult a lawyer and possibly show up in court.
>> This becomes a big time commitment and financial burden as the
>> donations from this project are fairly minimal (at least compared to
>> the hiring of a lawyer).
>>
>> Lets face it, everyone on this project is unpaid and has a real life.
>> It seems as if a few of the main devs have decided they don't want to
>> take the "risk."
>
> I doubt that someone will go directly to court. If someone sees
> licensing issues he most likely will first ask the Arch devs to remove
> cdrtools from the repos. If this will be the case, they can just remove
> it and revert to cdrkit. This won't cost anything.
>
> If there really was such a legal issue I bet no other distribution
> would have cdrtools in its repos or many other distributions would have
> been sued already. So why should Arch Linux after many years the first
> distro to be sued?
>
> And as I've already written I can't find the CDDL in the cdrtools
> source package. I can only find the GPLv2. So cdrecord and mkisofs are
> both licensed under the GPLv2.
>
> Greetings,
> Heiko

here's a proposal for the future of this discussion:

1) Joerg is no longer allowed to participate in the the discourse unless
directly questioned.

2) Allan: ditto.

3) All other participants work toward creating a formal proposal and
then debating and resolving reservations about that proposal, each in turn.

4) Aaron, as overlord, set a sunset clause on the discussion period, act
as moderator (or delegate if he's sick of this shit), and maintain final
approval/veto over the proposal that emerges.

Anyone?

-kludge