[arch-general] First Time Arch w/ Gnome Installed

Ng Oon-Ee ngoonee at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 17:33:23 EST 2010

On Wed, 2010-01-27 at 12:55 -0700, Brendan Long wrote:
> On 01/26/2010 06:37 PM, Carlos Williams wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 4:09 PM, Andrea Fagiani<andfagiani at gmail.com>  wrote:
> >
> >> [snip]
> >>
> > Yeah I will review the Wiki again in more detail. I have never
> > installed anything from AUR but assume it's pretty straight forward. I
> > will try your suggested packages...
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> Installing from the AUR is kind of a pain, I'd suggest that the first
> package you get is yaourt. It lets you install directly from the AUR
> install of downloading individual files and then running makepkg.

Bad advise, IMHO. yaourt is a helper, not meant to be a pacman
replacement. To Andrea, you should learn to download the PKGBUILD and
all accompanying files first (to a directory you have write access to)
and how to edit PKGBUILDs and run makepkg. Once you've got passing
familiarity with that then using yaourt does save time.

Basically, if you start off with yaourt, you're screwed if things break
somewhere down the line, since you won't know what's happening behind
the scenes, as it were.