[arch-general] An old, tiresome discussion: cdrtools vs cdrkit

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Thu Jan 28 04:22:57 EST 2010

Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi <vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:

> On 01/28/2010 03:48 AM, Attila wrote:
> > I change the permissions in the install file in this way:
> >    /bin/echo "Change Owner, Group and Permission to root.optical (4710) ..."
> >

> Hi, don't need all root privileges/capabilities. Only cap_sys_admin,
> cap_sys_rawio for some special SCSI commands and cap_sys_resource for
> incresing resource limits.
>
> setcap cap_sys_admin,cap_sys_rawio,cap_sys_resource+ep /usr/bin/cdrecord
>
> thats all ;)

Mostly correct, but most Linux distros do not include the needed features that
would allow to set these privileges.

Cdrecord needs on Solaris:

privs=file_dac_read,sys_devices,proc_lock_memory,proc_priocntl,net_privaddr

It would need the same on Linux and in addition the permission to send _any_
SCSI commands.

Readcd needs: privs=file_dac_read,sys_devices,net_privaddr

Cdda2wav needs: privs=file_dac_read,sys_devices,proc_priocntl,net_privaddr

Once there is support in more than a turkish Linux distro, I will add support
for the Linux fine grained privileges.

So what gives on Linux:

file_dac_read	Permission to open any device file

sys_devices	Permission to send anc SCSI command

proc_lock_memory Lock into memory

proc_priocntl	Increase priority

net_privaddr	Allow ports < 1024, needed for RSCSI

Jörg