[arch-general] An old, tiresome discussion: cdrtools vs cdrkit

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Thu Jan 28 05:20:11 EST 2010

Denis A. Altoé Falqueto <denisfalqueto at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 8:05 PM, Damjan Georgievski <gdamjan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > There was a very simple suggestion some message ago, why not
> > dual-license the CDDL parts of cdrtools and be done with any and all
> > the FUD (from any side), all the anomisity, and trolling.
>
> Or the other way around: put mkisofs under CDDL, so the package has a
> homogeneous license?

I could proably rightfully do this if I did stop supporting Apple HFS (well we
have Apple specific UDF support since 2007).

This would be based on being able to drop sinle entity contributions below 5-10%
ofh the whole code.

Would it be worth to do so? I am not convinced. The GPL was intentionally
opened against any kind of libraries after it turned out that the first GCC
version was legally unusable. I was part of this discussion and thus I know
about this fact. The project "mkisofs" just uses independent libraries under
CDDL and this is explicitely permitted for GPLd programs.

Jörg