[arch-general] Netcfg after resume from suspend

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Fri Jan 29 11:00:04 EST 2010

Am 29.01.2010 02:42, schrieb Ng Oon-Ee:
> Hi all, I'm using netcfg and recently have been noticing the following.
>
> When I resume from suspend I call 'netcfg home' which tries to connect
> to my home's wifi network. ESSID and WEP key are correctly set. It
> exist with a 'could not obtain IP address error, this is the dmesg:-
>
> Registered led device: iwl-phy0::radio
> Registered led device: iwl-phy0::assoc
> Registered led device: iwl-phy0::RX
> Registered led device: iwl-phy0::TX
> ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
> wlan0: direct probe to AP 00:14:7c:be:39:ac (try 1)
> wlan0: direct probe responded
> wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:14:7c:be:39:ac (try 1)
> wlan0: authenticated
> wlan0: associate with AP 00:14:7c:be:39:ac (try 1)
> wlan0: RX AssocResp from 00:14:7c:be:39:ac (capab=0x471 status=0 aid=1)
> wlan0: associated
> ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlan0: link becomes ready
> wlan0: no IPv6 routers present
> wlan0: deauthenticating from 00:14:7c:be:39:ac by local choice (reason=3)
>
> The weird thing is that when I run 'iwconfig wlan0 essid MYESSID key
> MYKEY', then run 'netcfg home' again it works no problem. Suggestions
> for what I can check out are welcome. This happens both on stock
> kernel and my custom -ice kernel, am up-to-date (without testing for
> now, due to my openoffice variant not being done yet).

You should try the testing version of netcfg instead:
http://mirrors.kernel.org/archlinux/testing/os/any/netcfg-2.5.0rc2-1-any.pkg.tar.gz

This has two advantages:

1) wpa_supplicant is not only used for WPA, buy also for Open and WEP
networks. This increases reliability drastically! (Note that using the
deprecated iwconfig-method the connection will not be reestablished by
the driver once it is lost - upstream linux-wireless developers
recommend always using wpa_supplicant)

2) If you also install wpa_actiond
(http://mirrors.kernel.org/archlinux/testing/os/i686/wpa_actiond-1.0-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz,
http://mirrors.kernel.org/archlinux/testing/os/x86_64/wpa_actiond-1.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz),
you get the "net-auto-wireless" mode, which not only automatically
connects to the right wireless network whenever it is in range, but also
deals with temporary connection losses gracefully and transparently
(there is a minor bug where it sometimes won't get DHCP, but that can be
worked around and is easy to fix for the next version (WPA_OPTS="-W")).
It will also connect to a new network when the old one is out of range
and the new one comes in range (assuming the networks are configured as
profiles).

I guess this will make your problem(s) go away. I don't know why James
still hasn't released netcfg 2.5, but I guess he has little time lately.