[arch-general] An old, tiresome discussion: cdrtools vs cdrkit

Attila vodoo0904 at sonnenkinder.org
Fri Jan 29 12:30:10 EST 2010

At Freitag, 29. Januar 2010 11:39 Joerg Schilling wrote:

Thanks for your nice informations and with this line for setcap

cap_dac_override,cap_sys_rawio,cap_ipc_lock,cap_sys_nice,cap_net_bind_service+ep

a "cdrecord --scanbus" works as normal user without a problem.

> As long as there is no support code in Linux distros to set
> capabilities without making the target program suid root anyway,
> I see no other possibility than to stay with
>
> 	chown root cdrecord cdda2wav readcd
> 	chmod 4711 cdrecord cdda2wav readcd

This is definitive easier and there is no risk if something will changes for
capabilities. There is only one thing which i find better and it is that i
prefer "chmod 4710" with a special group to not allow everyone to run cdrecord.
Okay, i'm not an expert but this looks safe enough for me ... provide that i
have to look every time at the manpage of capabilities.-)

See you, Attila