[arch-general] Why taking so long?

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Sat Jan 30 08:37:36 EST 2010

Am Sat, 30 Jan 2010 13:11:26 +0100
schrieb Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0 at gmail.com>:

> Sometimes (only twice actually) I had to recompile the kernel with ice
> support from aur.
> Now compiling the kernel is not a short job, but it looks like it
> really compiles EVERYTHING!
>
> Maybe putting my .config somewhere it will not do it, how do you
> manage it?

I guess this is the easiest way to compile your own kernel:

1. cp -R /var/abs/core/kernel26 /var/abs/local/kernel26-<yourkernelname>

2. Edit these variables in the PKGBUILD:
pkgbase (to your package name)
pkgname (copy the original one and replace kernel26* with
kernel26-<yourkernelname>*)

3. Add the patches you like to the PKGBUILD.

4. Remove the comments of these lines:
#make menuconfig # CLI menu for configuration (or the other options)
#msg "Stopping build"
#return 1

5. Run makepkg -g and replace the md5sums in the PKGBUILD.

6. Run makepkg and configure your kernel. (You don't need to change
CONFIG_LOCALVERSION, this is done by the PKGBUILD automatically.)

7.
cd /var/abs/local/kernel26-<yourkernelname>/src/linux-<kernelversion>
diff -u .config.old .config
cd ../..
Make the changes to the files config and config.x86_64 manually.

or

cd /var/abs/local/kernel26-<yourkernelname>
cp src/linux-<kernelversion>/.config ./config
or
cp src/linux-<kernelversion>/.config ./config.x86_64
(depending on your CPU)

8. Run makepkg -g and replace the md5sums in the PKGBUILD.

9. Edit the PKGBUILD and comment the lines from 4.

10. Run makepkg and install the built package.

11. Finished!

If you want to publish your kernel package in AUR then you
unfortunately need to revert the PKGBUILD from a split to a single
package.

Greetings,
Heiko