[arch-general] kernel26-2.6.32.6-1 updates breaks Compiz?

Eric Bélanger snowmaniscool at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 17:37:19 EST 2010

2010/1/30 Ng Oon-Ee <ngoonee at gmail.com>:
> On Sat, 2010-01-30 at 05:03 -0500, Eric Bélanger wrote:

>> > Here's the log from a failed run - http://pastebin.com/m6a6cb270
>> >
>> > Here's the log from a successful run (with the png plugin turned off) -
>> > http://pastebin.com/m62782b96
>> >
>> > Both pastebins only available for a month. Interesting line (in my
>> > unexperienced opinion) in the first log is line 1914:-
>> >      7720:     /usr/lib/compiz/libpng.so: error: symbol lookup error:
>> > undefined symbol: png_check_sig (fatal)
>> > compiz: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/compiz/libpng.so: undefined
>> > symbol: png_check_sig
>> >

>> It needs to be patched for the new libpng. Open a bug report if there isn't one.
>
> I understand this version IS patched for the new libpng, since it was
> held in testing just like all the other libpng packages.

FTR: The broken compize-core that was in testing had been rebuilt
against the new libpng (it was linking to it) but it still refered to
the png_check_sig function which had been replaced in the new libpng.
Usually this gives a compilation error but that are edge cases like
this one where it doesn't.