[arch-general] An old, tiresome discussion: cdrtools vs cdrkit - tone it down

Baho Utot baho-utot at columbus.rr.com
Sun Jan 31 06:41:12 EST 2010

Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Baho Utot <baho-utot at columbus.rr.com> wrote:
>

>> I have preformed some tests and guess what cdrkit works!  Imagine that.
>> It burnt the iso's for Slackware distribution, and using md5sum to sum
>> both a Slackware distribution disk burned by both cdrkit and cdrtools
>> and they are the same, how did that happen?
>>

> There is a 99,99999999999999999999999999999999999% chance that you did never
> used cdrtools.
>
> Jörg

Please show me the evidence to support your position.

Please what evidence do you have that I have never used cdrtools?

As a user of Linux since 1995 your assertions are ridicules.  Just being
a user from 1995 proves your claim to be false.
Yes that is before cdrkit was ever released.
I have been a early beta tester for Turbolinux, would you like a copy of
my beta/prerelease TurboLinux CDs from that period?
I also have RedHat Linux official versions from 5.0 to 9.0 and non
official release 4.2 which I ran oracle on, the oracle db required Red
Hat 4.2 at that time, again you look it up.

Please do this, download Slackware 12 or 13 _LOOK_ at what it being
distributed.
You _WILL_ find that it is cdrtools.
One _HAS_ to remove it by choice as I did and build and install cdrkit.
Would you like my build script for cdrkit?

Here is the script I used to test cdrtools and cdrkit

#!/bin/sh
# $Id: burnt_iso_md5_check.sh,v 1.1 2008/03/22 16:51:22 root Exp root $
# Written 2008 by Eric Hameleers <alien at slackware.com>
#
# This command will check the md5sum of a cd (ignoring possible padding at
# the end by only checking the same amount of bytes at the iso image) and
# also check the md5sum of the ISO image.
# Idea found at:
#
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?p=3077366#post3077366
# and expanded a bit.
#

if [ $1 ]; then
  isoFile=$1
else
  echo "Usage: $0 <iso-image> <cd-drive>"
  echo "E.g.   $0  /tmp/slackware-12.0.iso /dev/dvd"
  exit 1
fi

if [ $2 ]; then
  cdDrive=$2
else
  echo "Usage: $0 <iso-image> <cd-drive>"
  echo "E.g.   $0  /tmp/slackware-12.0.iso /dev/dvd"
  exit 1
fi

if [ ! -b $cdDrive ]; then
  echo "ERROR.  '$cdDrive' is not a block device."
  exit 1
fi

if [ ! -r $isoFile ]; then
  echo "ERROR.  ISO image '$isoFile' does not exist."
  exit 1
else
  echo "** Verifying md5sums between $isoFile <-> $cdDrive"
  dd if=$cdDrive | head -c $(stat --format=%s $isoFile) | md5sum \
    && md5sum $isoFile
fi

You have confirmed my position.....
You just want to argue your point.

You can continue to claim the above, But you now have _ZERO_ credibility
with me.