[arch-general] screen goes blank on reboot after 1st pacman Su of new install!!!???

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Sun Jul 4 00:27:00 EDT 2010

Hi. I'm not that sure what's happening. But I just acquired an HP Pavilion
desktop.  (My Sister's Hubby just bought a new win 7 box and let me
recycle his old xp box... I told him right away that I'd found the
problem he was having with the old box, it was running windows...)

Anyway it's got AMD 64 processor with a gig of ram, and integrated NVIDIA
GeForce 6150 LE (which could be the problem for all I know. But since I
don't give a tallywack about 3d acceleration I doubt I'm supposed to need
to know much about tweaking NVIDIA graphics.

Anyway I promptly used gparted to squeeze the existing winxp installed to
the 200 gig sata harddrive down to only 70 gig, & attached an ide seagate 250
gig drive I'd had left over from my former (defunct) desktop which had died
about a year ago. Making room for multiple Linux distros. Because PCLinuxOS
features a "mylivecd" script that's designed to make it easy for non-experts
to make fully configured and installable live cd/dvd images of their running
PCLinuxOS installation, PCLinuxOS got the first install.

But Arch was supposed to be the 2nd. I installed the core system from an
archlinux-2010.05-core-dual.iso But since I already have a 64 bit Arch on
my laptop I thought I'd try the i686 image on the desktop...

Then I set up my user partitions via udev rule (I've named all my
partitions cause something like LABEL=Arch_desk-7, & LABEL=PCLOS_desk-3
are much more human readable than any UUID={string} will ever be).
Anyway, I updated the new Arch system and kept working on customizations.
I kept getting interrupted so it was a couple of days later that I was
comfortable enough to reboot. It does reboot, but right after the bootup
screen says something about waiting for UDev events the monitor goes
blank. (I expect this to happen cause the arch on my laptop does the same
thing except with the laptop, the screen returns to life a moment later
with a new screen font that holds true until it enters runlevel: 3 where
the font I defined in my rc.conf finally takes over...

But on this new desktop which has a nice Sony flat screen monitor, when the
screen goes blank, the Sony monitor flashes a pop-up notification about no
signal, which is quickly followed by a notice that it's going to power save
mode... And the new arch system never sends it any more output to wake it
up. No mater what I do to the keyboard or mouse. And no matter how long I wait
either. I tried just waiting... Went to bed, got up late the next day.
Still no monitor output... But Arch itself is NOT hung up. It will respond
to the three fingered salute with a reboot, and I even one time blindly
logged in as root to the console and blindly typed:

shutdown -h now

Which resulted in a powerdown.

But I still don't have any idea what's killing my monitor output. I can
use my PCLinuxOS installation's root account to examine/edit *ANY* file.
But I don't have a clue what to look for. Suggestions anyone???