[arch-general] screen goes blank on reboot after 1st pacman Su of new install!!!???

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Sun Jul 4 17:18:21 EDT 2010

On Sun, Jul 04, 2010 at 03:08:05PM -0400, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:

> What looks nice to me is the console login prompt...
> Also aside from that, there's another reason I use startx (with a wrapper
> script that copies the appropiate file to ~/.xinitrc depending on which
> desktop...) Which is usually E17 which can remember where to put a konsole
> window based {in part} on the "name" which I can feed to it with a
> running terminal application via a line like this in the ~/.xinitrc...
>
> konsole --workdir ~/mail --name F2alpine  --profile BlackGray -e alpine &
>
> I've yet to find a DE that will remember enough details of a konsole window
> in it's saved sessions method to prestart the correct application(s) in the
> correct konsole windows etc...

You'r mixing up several things here: 1) starting X, 2) starting a
window manager or desktop environment, and 3) restoring or setting
up that desktop for a particular user.

If you use a 'graphical' login like XDM then (1) is already done when
you login. If you use startx after logging in it's your job to keep
those things apart (or not).

> I don't suppose XDM can be configured to use a ~/.xinitrc like script that
> will let me prestart selected terminal applications in a simular manor?

As used here XDM will call ~/.xession, you can put whatever you
want in there. I use it to map some keys, then start WindowMaker.

> sshd is another matter. My personal paranoia settings require NEVER
> allowing ANY remote logins. If God himself want's to use my computer he
> dang well better be using the attached keyboard, or there's gonna be
> trouble... <grin>

There may be situations where such paranoia is warranted, but in
general this just means you're making your own life more difficult
than it should be. A ssh login can be set up to require a 1024 or
more bit cryptographic token - if that isn't enough nothing will
ever be.

>  I say I'm not sure but I think the above output says I do have it and that
>  it must be doing the wrong thing...

Looks like it...

> 1) durring the boot, it said it couldn't load the sun12x22.psfu.gz font
> I'd prespecified in my rc.conf... Actualy on the assumption that KMS was
> going to notice my high reasolution monitor I figgured I'd likely need
> something like ter-128n.psf.gz Like I wound up using in my laptop. But I
> haven't installed the terminus font package yet... So the biggest I
> expected to start with was one of the 12x22 fonts...
>
> I note that even without loading the large font, I wound up with a large
> text size on my hi-res monitor (yup an actual 80 column display) So maybe
> the "nomodeset" option is why the 12x22 font didn't load?

The 80 column display is what 'nomodeset' is supposed to do. You
could try the old 'vga' option to switch to a higher resolution
even with nomodeset - AFAIK it will work.

> 2) a little more disturbing I note that when I switched to another tty and
> logged in to another console session, it hungup without executing the
> .bash_profile... If I hit ^C I got a default command prompt but my .bashrc
> set command path wasn't working untill I used the bash command to open a
> subshell... Could the nomodeset option be responsible for this???

Don't thing so, but I noticed ~/.bash_profile being ignored as well.
~/.profile will probably work.

> 3) WHA-DA-{censored} Now I notice I can't get mc to fire up. I used it
> earlier in this login session, But now the tty just hangs, and I need to
> use another tty to issue a killall mc to get my prompt back... I'm not sure
> what changed since I started this Arch session. But something don't seam
> stable...

I don't have any idea as to what 'mc' is...

Ciao,

--
Je veux que la mort me trouve plantant mes choux, mais
nonchalant d’elle, et encore plus de mon jardin imparfait.