[arch-general] screen goes blank on reboot after 1st pacman Su of new install!!!???

Myra Nelson myra.nelson at hughes.net
Mon Jul 5 13:33:16 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 02:15, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook <jtwdyp at ttlc.net> wrote:

> It would appear that on Jul 5, Ross did say:
>
> > On 05/07/10 07:08, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
> > > I've yet to find a DE that will remember enough details of a konsole window
> > > in it's saved sessions method to prestart the correct application(s) in the
> > > correct konsole windows etc...
> > >
> > > I don't suppose XDM can be configured to use a ~/.xinitrc like script that
> > > will let me prestart selected terminal applications in a simular manor?
>
> > You could try slim, is graphical login manager which uses .xinitrc It works
> > well for me, looks good and very lightweight.
> >
> > Ross.
>
> It would appear that on Jul 5, Ng Oon-Ee did say:
>
> > Its also not really maintained I think, hence the existance of slim-plus
> > in the AUR.
>
> Well I guess I'll have to remember slim or slim-plus if the distro stops
> providing a working startx script. (writing startx is WAY beyond my
> skill level...) But I still prefer to start in console mode and wait
> until I'm ready to fire up X
>
> It would appear that on Jul 4, fons at kokkinizita.net did say:
>
> > You'r mixing up several things here: 1) starting X, 2) starting a
> > window manager or desktop environment, and 3) restoring or setting
> > up that desktop for a particular user.
> >
> > If you use a 'graphical' login like XDM then (1) is already done when
> > you login. If you use startx after logging in it's your job to keep
> > those things apart (or not).
>
> Very true! Though until I'm ready for both #2 & #3, I've no use for #1.
>
> > > I don't suppose XDM can be configured to use a ~/.xinitrc like script that
> > > will let me prestart selected terminal applications in a simular manor?
> >
> > As used here XDM will call ~/.xession, you can put whatever you
> > want in there. I use it to map some keys, then start WindowMaker.
>
> That I didn't know. I don't suppose ~/.xsession is just a simple list of
> commands like ~/.xinitrc is?
>
> > > sshd is another matter. My personal paranoia settings require NEVER
> > > allowing ANY remote logins. If God himself want's to use my computer he
> > > dang well better be using the attached keyboard, or there's gonna be
> > > trouble... <grin>
> >
> > There may be situations where such paranoia is warranted, but in
> > general this just means you're making your own life more difficult
> > than it should be. A ssh login can be set up to require a 1024 or
> > more bit cryptographic token - if that isn't enough nothing will
> > ever be.
>
> Here it's a matter of skill level and keeping things set up right. Since I
> use multiple distros, it sounds like even more work to always have to
> configure that. My system isn't exactly a prime target for hackers, but
> then again, until they crack it they don't know that.  My first line of
> defense is to set my _wired_ router to forward nothing to any port...
> Combine that with never setting up any of my systems to allow remote
> access, and I've never seen anything to suggest anybody's hacked in yet.

> [...]

Joe:

I've used nVidia cards for years and fought the same problems for
years (12 or so),
and used 3Dfx voodoo cards prior to nVidia. I've personally experienced the same
problems with several different generations of nVidia graphics,
especially the on
board graphics. I finally caved and spent the money for pci cards to solve most
of my problems (I realize that's not always an option for many people).

Since the nouveau drivers came out I've never managed to get them working. I've
tried several times because, like you, I don't need 3d. The xf86vesa driver has
always worked, but for decent graphics I've always wound up installing the
proprietary drivers. The setup utility that's installed sets up the
xorg.conf file
and you should be off and running.

As to the xf86-nv driver, the quote below says it all.

"Linux Magazine Mar 30, 2010

Andy Ritger, NVIDIA manager responsible for the Linux graphics cards,
as announced
on the X.org mailing list that the graphics chip company will no
longer develop the
open source 2D video drivers for its chips. He recommends using the VESA X
driver instead."

Now on to trouble shooting. Please don't take offense at the twenty questions
routine everyone gets from typical tech support, but without seeing your machine
I have some suggestions.

1. Have you tried hooking up a monitor from another machine and see if you can
    reproduce the problem.
2. If you happen to have another video card (it's a nice thought), try
putting it in and
   see if you can reproduce the problem.
2. I don't recall any of the older on boards have dual video ports,
but if they do switch
    ports and see what happens.
3. Go into the bios and check the video and power management settings.
4. If the manual came with the computer, RTFineM. LOL. Seriously, with HP boxes
    it sometimes helps. The do some strange things with the Pavilion
line (from my
    personal experiences)

I will again apologize if I have offended you with the above, it
wasn't meant to just
pass on some of the things I've had to do over the years with nVidia
graphics I spent
a lot of time learning to hand craft xorg.conf files for nVidia cards.
I was actually upset
when the newer version of x didn't need them, but have found using the
proprietary
drivers and the set up utilities work the best. I've also learned not
to run a display
manager and log in from the console.

Myra