[arch-general] Blanks screen after boot

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Fri Jul 9 06:04:38 EDT 2010

Excerpts from Thomas Bächler's message of 2010-07-09 11:49:16 +0200:
> Am 08.07.2010 09:56, schrieb Philipp:
> > Hey,
> > I have this problem since a while but it got a lot worse with the last
> > two kernel versions. Now there's an about 50/50 chance to see the user
> > login or simply not see it. I don't have any login manager set up, so
> > after boot there's simply the user login and after that I issue startx.
> > It all works just fine,even if I can't see a thing, and once I issued
> > startx everything goes back to normal, the screen isn't blank anymore.
> >
> > The machine has an Intel chipset, and I guess it's related to that
> > and/or KMS, but that's as far as my guess goes.
> >
> > Maybe one of you knows something about that kind of issue?
> >

> You need to save the dmesg output of a failed and a successful boot and
> compare them.
>
> Note that the DRM/KMS driver seems to initialize fine - otherwise,
> starting Xorg would fail entirely (Intel's Xorg driver depends on it).

Thanks Thomas, good idea.
I'll see whether I can find the difference in dmesg and will search
for/file a bug then.

Besides the one error message in dmesg I already know (wifi chip
doesn't work in DMA mode) there are some more lines that I don't
understand:

pcie_pme: probe of 0000:00:1c.0:pcie01 failed with error -13
pcie_pme: probe of 0000:00:1c.1:pcie01 failed with error -13
pcie_pme: probe of 0000:00:1c.2:pcie01 failed with error -13
PM: Error -22 checking image file

I don't have the slightest idea whether they are related to my problem,
I'll do the comparison when I get the chance.
--
Regards,
Philipp

--
"Wir stehen selbst enttäuscht und sehn betroffen / Den Vorhang zu und alle Fragen offen." Bertolt Brecht, Der gute Mensch von Sezuan