[arch-general] Updated kernel - 2nd issue - compiz whitescreens (radeon driver)

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sun Jul 11 01:50:53 EDT 2010

Guys,

One other issue I am having with the box after the kernel update is that compiz
whitescreens now. (that usually means a driver wasn't recompiled, but this is
with the stock xf86-video-ati package). Compiz starts just fine, I get the
splash screen, but everything is white. I have had that a number of times when I
have forgotten to recompile a driver after a kernel update, but not when using a
stock driver.

The package I have is:

   xf86-video-ati-6.13.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

(I checked with lsmod and the radeon driver was loaded just fine)

Currently I am not using an xorg.conf, so everything is from the default
settings. Not long ago I posted about how impressed I was with the new kernel
and ati driver, but something seems to be out of whack now. What can I try to
get compiz running again?

(I got this much info before being stuck by the UTF-8 issue, so we will have to
fix that one before I can boot to work on this compiz issue)

Thanks again for your help.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC