[arch-general] No Compiz with current Kernels - but compiz with Linux alchemy 2.6.32-lts OK - Huh?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Mon Jul 12 00:12:32 EDT 2010

On 07/11/2010 09:32 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> Guys,
>
> On my box I continue to have problems with the current kernels on, booting lts
> works fine with compiz - how is that so? IIRC - lts used to be cli only, now it
> boots into runlevel 5 just fine.
>
> Any thoughts on why compiz won't run on 2.6.34-2 or 2.6.34.1-1?
>
> I'll keep tinkering, but any help would be appreciated...

Here is a bit more information:

	I don't do anything different when booting or starting Arch with any of the
kernels or the radeon driver. I am totally confused why compiz works great with
LTS, but white-screens with the current kernel. For both kernels, I don't use an
xorg.conf and the modules loaded look the same:

23:07 alchemy:~> kdesu kwrite /boot/grub/menu.lst
23:08 alchemy:~> uname -a
Linux alchemy 2.6.32-lts #1 SMP Wed Jun 2 10:23:08 UTC 2010 x86_64 AMD
Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-58 AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
23:09 alchemy:~> lsmod | grep rad
radeon                566427  2
ttm                    35663  1 radeon
drm_kms_helper         22278  1 radeon
drm                   151569  5 radeon,ttm,drm_kms_helper
i2c_algo_bit            5031  1 radeon
i2c_core               18070  4 i2c_piix4,radeon,drm,i2c_algo_bit

	Allan, anybody, can you think of a reason compiz would be white-screening with
the current kernel and working fine with LTS?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC