[arch-general] RSS feed - missing feature|problem

Netanel Shine netanelshine at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 04:59:34 EDT 2010

Hey all,

My name is Netanel Shine, and a few days ago i began the process of building
an israeli community of archlinux. I used a git clone to set up the main
site. (like some other great projects file that archlinux git have to offer
like the wiki and the forums)
Everything went smoothly and just works great, except for one problem - the
package rss feeds.

The site address is: http://archlinux.org.il - under heavy development.

The problem: As you all can see, the left rss box with the latest updates
dont work and the list is empty. - because the system comes with an
integrated "packages" part (you can see it here:
http://archlinux.org.il/packages - not gonna use it), so the rss list
updates from here (i guess)

After discussions with some great people (in the irc) we concluded that the
rss box pull`s the data from the 'models.Package' object - that connected to
archlinux mainsite DB (Package.objects=PackageManager()), so if i dont have
any access for the database - thats not gonna work.

All sorts of ideas were came up like bulding a script that will do the job
or, a an iframe that will copy the box from the mainsite (but the problem it
will not be in hebrew) and an idea to replace the table that has for update
in pkg_updates. (with logic that pulls from the feed) - but thats not easy
because the logic is a wrapped up in django MVC.

So dear friends, i turn to you for help - and I`m sure I would find it.

--
Netanel Shine
Blog - http://netshine.wordpress.com