[arch-general] PCMCIA Kernel 2.6

Nilesh Govindarajan lists at itech7.com
Wed Jul 14 11:39:42 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 8:43 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Am 14.07.2010 16:21, schrieb Nilesh Govindarajan:
>> How do I make kernel 2.6 boot from NFS using a PCMCIA network card?
>> Without initrd would be preferred.
>
> You need to build a kernel with PCMCIA, your PCMCIA host bridge and the
> network card driver built-in ... that _might_ work, if the PCMCIA card
> does not require userspace-based initialization. Additionally you need
> to build in NFS support and kernel level NFS autoconfiguration.
>
> This is much simplified if you use initramfs, mkinitcpio should be able
> to do it, even with the default Arch kernel, you may need to add some
> drivers manually though.

I can't use arch kernel because its too big for my diskless client.
Further, I don't see any PCMCIA option while compiling kernel 2.6
I tried kernel 2.4 also, it has the exact driver for my card, but then
glibc complains. Later I tried to compile glib with
--enable-kernel=2.4, won't compile.

So the only way out for me seems kernel 2.6
Could anyone provide me more info on compiling PCMCIA drivers right
inside vmlinuz image?
If not inside vmlinuz, with initrd.

--
Regards,