[arch-general] Tracking down ATI/Compiz Bug in 2.6.34 kernels (looks like gpu init in 2.6.34)

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu Jul 15 04:42:09 EDT 2010

Guys,

	Still trying to get compiz to quit white-screening when running the 2.6.34
kernels. (I booted OK this time, still down want to see if it will boot again
yet while I'm working this compiz issue).

	For those not following the earlier threads, compiz and the entire graphics
system on my laptop works perfectly with the LTS kernel, but when I upgraded to
the 2.6.34 kernels, compiz white-screens due to a bug somewhere in the
kernel/KMS/xf86-video-ati interplay.

	As mentioned earlier, starting with the 2.6.32 kernels, everything was GREAT
with this laptop and the graphic response had never been so good on the 'radeon'
driver -- it was kicking ass! But with the 2.6.34 kernel, something is badly broken.

	Now 'compositing' works fine on the box. I can toggle compositing on/off in
Gnome and it is fine (still disappointed that it re-sizes the gnome-terminal,
etc.. back to it's original geometry on switching compositing on/off, but that
is small potatoes compared to this compiz mess). There is nothing compiz
specific in Xorg.0.log that is helpful (but see below for the massive
differences between 2.6.34 and LTS Xorg.0.log files). .xsession-error catches a
couple of errors when compiz tries to start:

Window manager warning: Invalid WM_TRANSIENT_FOR window 0x111 specified for
0x5e0017b (Configure ).
Window manager warning: Invalid WM_TRANSIENT_FOR window 0x111 specified for
0x5e004cd (Configure ).
Window manager warning: Invalid WM_TRANSIENT_FOR window 0x111 specified for
0x5e0099b (Configure ).
  * Detected Session: gnome
  * Searching for installed applications...
** Message: pygobject_register_sinkfunc is deprecated (GtkWindow)
** Message: pygobject_register_sinkfunc is deprecated (GtkInvisible)
** Message: pygobject_register_sinkfunc is deprecated (GtkObject)
compiz (core) - Error: Plugin 'text' not loaded.

compiz (shift) - Warn: No compatible text plugin loaded.
Window manager warning: Received a _NET_WM_MOVERESIZE message for 0x4800021
(CompositeT); these messages lack timestamps and therefore suck.
Window manager warning: Received a _NET_WM_MOVERESIZE message for 0x4800021
(CompositeT); these messages lack timestamps and therefore suck.
Window manager warning: Received a _NET_WM_MOVERESIZE message for 0x4800021
(CompositeT); these messages lack timestamps and therefore suck.
Window manager warning: Received a _NET_WM_MOVERESIZE message for 0x4800021
(CompositeT); these messages lack timestamps and therefore suck.
Window manager warning: Invalid WM_TRANSIENT_FOR window 0x111 specified for
0x5800006 (Session Ch).

but I can't really decipher them. The compiz (core) and compiz (shift) lines are
normal, I get them when starting compiz under LTS also and compiz starts fine.

	Where there are MASSIVE differences is in the initialization of my video card
in the Xorg.0.log files. The LTS Xorg.0.log is twice a large as the Xorg.0.log
file from the 2.6.34 kernel startup. Much of it is just gibberish to me, but I'm
sure the bug lies in the way the 2.6.34 kernel is trying to initialize my gpu. I
have saved copies of each file for review:

2.6.34.1 kernel (35k):
http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/Archlinux/bugs/compiz/34.1/gnome/Xorg.0.log

LTS-kernel (62k)
http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/Archlinux/bugs/compiz/lts/gnome/Xorg.0.log

	I don't know if you want me to open a bug here or if Allan, Tobias or some of
the other devs would like to try to narrow this down 'on-list' first so a more
meaningful bug report can be filed, if needed.

	Let me know what you guys think. I hate to admit it, but I'm somewhat of a
compiz junkie. There is nothing like managing multiple desktops than the simple
elegance of compiz and a few smart key/mouse bindings. I've got to get this bug
fixed :p

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC