[arch-general] PCMCIA Kernel 2.6

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Thu Jul 15 10:05:24 EDT 2010

Am 15.07.2010 15:51, schrieb Nilesh Govindarajan:
> I don't think gPXE supports PCMCIA network cards.

Sadly, I think you are right. gPXE would have allowed you to load
arbitrarily large kernel and initrd images over the network :(

> Leave all that, what
> am I supposed to do to initialize the PCMCIA card?

Udev does that automatically. Looking at it more closely, I think I was
wrong. pcmciautils only contains two tools called
"pcmcia-check-broken-cis" and "pcmcia-socket-startup". The former is
necessary to enable devices with broken vendor/product id, the latter
starts up some pcmcia sockets ... it looks like you can live without
those if your hardware is not broken. Details about pcmcia-specific
initialization are in /lib/udev/rules.d/60-pcmcia.rules (pcmcia-utils).

Guessing a bit further, it might be that you didn't build your PCMCMIA
host bridge into your kernel (most of the time it is yenta_socket) and
therefore don't see your card.