[arch-general] Tasks for newbie at online bug squashing (during Archcon)?

Thomas Dziedzic gostrc at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 16:37:46 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 2:16 PM, Mathias Huber <huber at mathiashuber.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>> I've seen there will be an online bug squashing with Archers worldwide
>>> during Archcon on July 22 and 23
>>> <http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=83844>.
>>>
>>> I've set some time apart to join the fun. However, I am an Arch newbie,
>>> though long standing Linux user. What will there be for me to do? Can you
>>> find me some trivial tasks?
>>> [...]
>>
>> Have you taken a look at the following wiki?
>> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Getting_Involved
>
> Yes I have, but it isn't very specific as far as Bug Days are concerned
>
>> If you truly don't possess any coding skills (web included), then I
>> think helping out in the wiki would be most appreciated.
>
> I have some web coding skills (HTML, CSS, PHP, JS), which have become a bit
> rusty -- anyone remember the dot com years ;-)
>
> Well, let's see. Any suggestions will be appreciated, the more concrete the
> better.
>
> Cheerio,
> Mathias

Now that you mentioned web coding... my ideas have just opened up.

Here are some bugs dealing with web stuff:
http://bugs.archlinux.org/index.php?string=web&project=1&search_name=&type[]=&sev[]=&pri[]=&due[]=&reported[]=&cat[]=&status[]=open&percent[]=&opened=&dev=&closed=&duedatefrom=&duedateto=&changedfrom=&changedto=&openedfrom=&openedto=&closedfrom=&closedto=&do=index

also, don't forget that http://bugs.archlinux.org/index.php?project=2
(aur) is full of web related bugs.

For something more concrete, my 2 pet peeves for the arch website are:
1. inconsistent headers between the new headers and the bugs/aur header
2. websvn is b0rked and needs some repairs.

If you can fix those, that would be awesome :)
Btw, you can do whatever you think will improve archlinux.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!