[arch-general] Keep older kernel intact while upgrading to new kernel

C Anthony Risinger anthony at extof.me
Sat Jul 17 13:15:22 EDT 2010

On Jul 17, 2010, at 11:42 AM, Loui Chang <louipc.ist at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat 17 Jul 2010 11:06 -0500, Victor Lowther wrote:
>> On Sat, 2010-07-17 at 10:42 -0500, Thomas Dziedzic wrote:

>>> This wouldn't be a problem if you have a backup kernel :)
>>
>> Oh, I do.  I would just prefer to work with the package management
>> framework, not work around it.
>
> I think this is something that hooks could do. It's a feature that's
> in
> brainstorming. Maybe you could help implement it.
>
> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/User:Allan/Pacman_Hooks

As a heads up, this (kernel rollbacks) is a planned feature of the
mkinitcpio-btrfs hook in AUR.  It will be implemented in one or more
of about three ways:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=778395#p778395

and will be in the next major release; hopefully within 3 weeks or
so.  I'm less than 2 weeks from moving my family to a new state so
free development has taken a back seat for a short while.

You must be using btrfs for / of course.

C Anthony