[arch-general] IPTables DDoS

Nilesh Govindarajan lists at itech7.com
Mon Jul 19 14:07:01 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 11:14 PM, Heiko Baums <lists at baums-on-web.de> wrote:
> Am Mon, 19 Jul 2010 22:43:45 +0530
> schrieb Nilesh Govindarajan <lists at itech7.com>:
>
>> Hi,
>> Can someone tell me how to use IPTables to prevent DDoS attacks?
>> I'm sure IPTables has the relevant modules (limit, recent I think)
>> after reading some docs, but still in doubt about its implementation.
>
> There's the --limit option against DoS attacks.
>
> A good iptables tutorial with some example scripts is here:
> http://www.frozentux.net/documents/iptables-tutorial/
>
> Read at least the chapter "Limit match".
>
> Heiko

Thanks a lot man. But I have a doubt (may sound quite weird, but I
really don't know about it).
Suppose I set this-
iptables -I INPUT -m limit --limit 1/min --limit-burst 5 -j ACCEPT
will this affect HTTP connections?
Basically, how many packets is probably going to constitute one connection?
What is the recommended setting for the same to prevent DoS?

--
Regards,
Nilesh Govindarajan