[arch-general] All kdemod3 menu apps in "Lost & Found" menu folder + control panel apps gone - how to get back?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Mon Jul 19 14:49:12 EDT 2010

On 07/19/2010 12:05 PM, Adriano Moura wrote:
> Try to hide ~/.local/share/applications and ~/.config/menus, then start one
> of the DEs

I moved applications -> saveapps and menus -> save menus, then started kde3, no
change (except for default icons over the apps that were using .desktops ~/.local

> If the menus get back to their default (no custom shortcuts/order),
> something screwed up those files.

No help with the menus, but kbuildsycoca helped (see below)

> There also might be other places for specifc DEs to store their .desktop or
> .menu files.

Holy crap -- it's worse than that. The menu issue looks like gnome totally
messed up the mimetype information that somehow caused things to go nuts in
kde3. I'm not sure where to start on this one. I'm fairly certain the control
panel issue is a kde3 environment issue.Just running 'kbuildsycoca
--noincremental' results in 742 errors -- not good. Here are the errors:

http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/Archlinux/bugs/kde3kbuildsycoca.txt.bz2

However -- there is good news! Rebuilding the system configuration cache
restored the control panel entries:

13:33 alchemy:~> kcmshell --list
The following modules are available:
background       - Change the background settings
colors           - Color settings
fonts            - Font settings
<snip>

1 down 1 to go. Any other ideas on the crazy menu errors?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC