[arch-general] X11 forwarding: X Error: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied) 10

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Jul 21 05:38:45 EDT 2010

On 07/21/2010 12:08 AM, Jeffrey Lynn Parke Jr. wrote:
> can you post the exact terminal commands that you are using?

Sure, sorry:

	From my laptop, I use:

   ssh -X nirvana.3111skyline.com

to ssh into my arch server (nirvana). In that same terminal, I then want to
start X apps on supersff by using for example

   /opt/kde/bin/kate &

to have kate from the server appear on my laptop. Works fine. Also for config
purposes, I su on nirvana to start kate to manage the apache configs, etc.
Instead of starting the X app and having it show up on my laptop, all I get is:

04:19 alchemy:~> snv
Last login: Wed Jul 21 00:30:35 2010 from zephyr.3111skyline.com
04:23 nirvana:~> /opt/kde/bin/kate &
[1] 2309
04:24 nirvana:~> X Error: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied) 10
   Major opcode:  18
   Minor opcode:  0
   Resource id:  0x6e

[1]+  Segmentation fault      /opt/kde/bin/kate

	Strangely enough, I can use gedit on this box so it appears to be a kde3 issue
(environment?) Here is the output I get on running gedit:

04:24 nirvana:~> /usr/bin/gedit &
[1] 2321
You have mail in /var/mail/david
04:24 nirvana:~> Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display "localhost:10.0".
** Message: pygobject_register_sinkfunc is deprecated (GtkWindow)
** Message: pygobject_register_sinkfunc is deprecated (GtkInvisible)
** Message: pygobject_register_sinkfunc is deprecated (GtkObject)

[1]+  Done                    /usr/bin/gedit

	Lastly, I have another arch box named supersff. When I attempt either kate or
gedit there, I get a can't open display error

04:27 alchemy:~> sff
Last login: Fri Jul 16 20:28:39 2010 from zephyr.3111skyline.com
04:30 supersff:~> /opt/kde/bin/kate &
[1] 1410
04:30 supersff:~> kate: cannot connect to X server

[1]+  Exit 1                  /opt/kde/bin/kate
04:31 supersff:~> gedit &
[1] 1411
04:32 supersff:~>
(gedit:1411): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

[1]+  Exit 1                  gedit

	I can't recall if I have to set display somewhere or just what we did to get
this working.

Thanks.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.