[arch-general] Getting firefox to use the PDF I want?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Wed Jul 21 06:06:56 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 08:29, Nilesh Govindarajan <lists at itech7.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 12:42 PM, Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org> wrote:
>> After installing Gimp it became the default application for PDFs,
>> something I
>> didn't really want.  A quick change in Nautilus took care of Gnome.  Still
>> firefox insists on only offering a single choice for handling PDFs: gimp!
>>
>> Gnome behaves correctly, and XDG seems to be set up properly:
>>
>>  % xdg-mime query default application/pdf
>>  /usr/share/applications/evince.desktop
>>
>> How do I get firefox to use the correct application?
>>
>> /M
>
> Firefox->Edit->Preferences->Applications

Ah, forgot to mention that I've looked there already.  There is no mention of
PDF there, and I can't find a way to add an entry to it.

Firefox used evince before I installed gimp, so it must be picking up
available applications from somewhere, right?

It also seems to pick up much more than just the name of the executable, since
it displays the choice "GNU Image Manipulation Program (d..." in the dialogue.

But where, and how do I change the settings?

/M

--
Magnus Therning                        (OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4)
magnus@therning.org          Jabber: magnus@therning.org