[arch-general] X11 forwarding: X Error: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied) 10

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Fri Jul 23 13:09:32 EDT 2010

On 07/22/2010 01:37 PM, Guus Snijders wrote:
> On 21-07-10 18:59, Mauro Santos wrote:
>> On 07/21/2010 03:49 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>>> For some reason, I recall copying some magic-cookie or maybe
>>> ICEAuthority from one box to the other. I wish I could find my notes.
>>> I'll google a bit more. If you think of anything else, let me know :)
>>>

>> Try doing:
>>
>> xhost + local:
>> or
>> xhost +
>>
>> but I doubt that will solve the problem. The only thing that usually is
>> needed is for the remote machine to have a ~/.Xauthority file, which is
>> created when you run X or use ssh -X. No other ideas here.
>
> Well, ssh creates the ~/.Xauthority file, you could try setting the XAUTHORITY
> variable after su-ing to root.
> So:
> XAUTHORITY=~USER/.Xauthority
> export XAUTHORITY
>
> and then start your X apps.
>

> mvg,
> Guus

Guys,

	Here may be something that will help. On my suse box, I can use x11 forwarding
without any problem at all. When the connection is slow, I see a small xterm
flash with the title 'xdg su' just before the X application starts. Maybe that
will jog a memory or two.

	Since I have both OS's to compare -- which files are involved in handling the
authentication for x forwarding? I'll do a side-by-side comparison and report
back if I can figure out which files to compare -- thanks.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC