[arch-general] Getting firefox to use the PDF I want?

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Fri Jul 23 22:06:26 EDT 2010

It would appear that on Jul 23, Nathan Wayde did say:

> On 22/07/10 23:31, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
> > I used  the search box inside "Firefox->Edit->Preferences->Applications" to
> > pull up what to do with "pdf" and was then able to set it to okular. But
> > then I no longer get the selection pop-up that would let me override the
> > choice
>
> why not just set it to xdg-open and be done with it?

Speaking for myself I'd have to learn how to use xdg-open first... besides
my use of firefox is currently is currently limited to on-line banking
sessions and any web link I launch from alpine... In either case I want to
close the browser when I'm done without losing track of any open pages I
may have in opera. I only suggested the above because someone didn't see
how to set the action for pdf documents in firefox the day after I figured
out how to set my firefox to use okular...

But speaking of xdg-open, isn't that dependent on the desktop preferred
application settings? If so I'd never use it. I don't like my desktop
trying to second guess me the way it does. I don't want a browser to
open just cause I clicked on a link. (I like it to simply land in the
clipboard buffer so that I can paste it where I want it, be that a text
document, a browser's location bar or the command line (likely prefixed
with wget) Or the To: field of an alpine compose session.