[arch-general] "community/jre" and "community/jdk" packages are out of date - PKGBUILD proposal

Peter Lewis pete at muddygoat.org
Sun Jul 25 12:14:00 EDT 2010

Hi,

On Sunday 25 Jul 2010 at 16:50 Guillaume ALAUX wrote:
> I also have some suggestions for these packages:
> - rename them from {jre,jdk} to {java6-sun-jre,java6-sun-jdk} or so would
> enable us to use different versions of SUN's JVM (Java5, 6 and 7)

Well the open jdk package is called "openjdk6". It would be nice if all the
similar packages had similar names, to make it obvious that they were
alternatives.

So if you want to rename them, how about either calling them sunjdk6 and
sunjre6 or else renaming the open ones too to fit into the same scheme, e.g.
java6-open-jdk? Although this has the down side that it no longer contains the
phrase "openjdk" which is probably what some/most people search for.

Just a thought.

Pete.