[arch-general] "community/jre" and "community/jdk" packages are out of date - PKGBUILD proposal

Guillaume ALAUX guillaume at alaux.net
Sun Jul 25 13:02:39 EDT 2010

On 25 July 2010 18:45, Ionuț Bîru <ibiru at archlinux.org> wrote:

> On 07/25/2010 07:37 PM, Guillaume ALAUX wrote:
>
>> On 25 July 2010 18:17, Ionuț Bîru<ibiru at archlinux.org>  wrote:
>>
>>  On 07/25/2010 07:14 PM, Peter Lewis wrote:
>>>
>>>  Hi,

>>> i always hatted the debian naming scheme for java so -1 from me. but i'm
>>> not against to use upstream name.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ionuț
>>>

>> Well there are several reasons in this renaming proposal :
>>
>> 1) to add some more info about the package
>> 2) to make the difference between versions of Java. ie if we include the
>> "6"
>> in names we could have (in a shorter scheme) jdk6 and jre6, jdk5 and jre5,
>> jdk7 and jre7. Because nowadays, upgrading jre from 6 to 7 would
>> un-install
>> jre v6. As you all know these different versions of JVM (5 and 6 and
>> tomorrow 7) are both used a lot !
>>

> well, when this happens be sure that we will do that. add a new jre6 and
> jdk package when version 7 is released
>

>>  i always hatted the debian naming scheme for java so -1 from me. but i'm
>>>
>> not against to use upstream name
>> What about splitting the PKGBUILD?
>>

> +1
>

>>  So if you want to rename them, how about either calling them sunjdk6 and
>>>
>> sunjre6 or else renaming the open ones too to fit into the same scheme,
>> e.g.
>> java6-open-jdk
>> I do agree.
>>

> the description of jre/jdk are pretty damn straight an if you really search
> for java sun it would find jre/jdk
>
> pacman -Ss java sun
>
> --
> Ionuț
>

> well, when this happens be sure that we will do that. add a new jre6 and
jdk package when version 7 is released
I see your point: jdk beeing the "current" version and jdk5 or jdk7
alternatives like Peter said.

What about paths? Today jdk/jre install in /opt/java, openjdk6 installs
in /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk. Wouldn't it be cleaner if we installed
jdk/jre files in /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-{jdk,jre} or something?