[arch-general] Pacman fails to update?

Martín Cigorraga martosurf7600 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 23:41:29 EDT 2010

Ok: thanks to the *excellent* Arch Wiki I had the idea too boot from the
Arch CD and take a look at /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist.
To my surprise, or not, once I copy it to my Arch install it worked
allright.

I remember some days ago there was a discussion about how useful could be
using "Architecture = auto" instead "686" or "x86_64" in /etc/pacman.conf.
Since /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist uses two variables passed by pacman which
first read in it's config file, may be a bug relating that's preventing
pacman from accesing repositories?

Also, weird enough, why in the world

[catalyst]
Server = http://catalyst.apocalypsus.net/repo/catalyst/x86_64

don't work!? Repo is online and perfectly accesible via web. Also it don't
use any variable in the url so what's going on here?
Getting more and more confused...

Martin