[arch-general] mandriva beat us to a new version

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Fri Jul 30 01:05:06 EDT 2010

On 30/07/10 12:28, Caleb Cushing wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 10:47 AM, Smith Dhumbumroong<zodmaner at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> I'd rather wait and let the devs sort out any/all problems with the new
>> version of perl, or any software for that matter, before releasing it,
>> rather than rushing to releasing it in order to "win" a nonexistent race.
>>

> On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 8:06 PM, Allan McRae<allan at archlinux.org>  wrote:
>> The goal of Arch Linux is not to package things faster than everybody else.
>>   The goal of Arch is to make the distribution that the developers want to
>> use.  It just happens that Arch developers like having most things packaged
>> quickly so that is what we do.
>>

> you know Allan... every time I hear what arch /is/ I hear something
> different. Arch /is/ a rolling distribution, it is not meant to be as
> stable as other distributions. This does not mean we release
> everything carelessly, and we generally have a good balance between
> 'stable' and 'current'. I'm generally not dissatisfied.
>
> My point by the way is that this could have been released to stable ~3
> months ago. I really would like to not see Mandriva, Ubuntu, OpenSuse,
> and Fedora all have it in their stable distro's when we don't. As I've
> pointed out OpenSuse already has it in there stable 11.3.

My point remains that same.   It will get done when:
1) a developer cares enough about perl
and
2) that developer has time to finish the update.

Until a point of time you have a couple of options.  Use the [testing]
repo or, given you appear to know what you are doing, select individual
packages to install from there.  Or you could wait...  I hear rumors of
it being moved in the next few days, and certainly before we tackle the
python rebuild in two weeks time.

> You can call me a wanker, and talk about your life all you want... but
> I volunteered to help, I know another that did too. We were turned
> down. I can't do what I don't have the 'privileges' to do, and neither
> can anyone else. There aren't any patches needed (so far as I can
> tell). The only thing left to do is rebuild community -dbd's and move
> everything to stable (so far as I can tell), if there's more no one
> has mentioned it.

As I said earlier, I know you volunteered, and the bug reports you have
file were useful, but with emails like the one starting this thread:

On 29/07/2010, Caleb Cushing <xenoterracide at gmail.com> wrote:
 > mandriva beat us to a new version of perl
 > http://jquelin.blogspot.com/2010/07/perls-state-in-mandriva-cooker.html
 > how embarrassing.

the general impression I am left with is that you were not someone to
bring on to the developer team to do this job, not because of lack of
skill, but because of attitude.  As I said earlier, attitude is often
more important than competency.

Allan