[arch-general] dialup woes wvdial, external v92 modem connected via usb/serial adapter

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Thu Jun 3 16:24:06 EDT 2010

I'm having a problem getting dialup to work...
Due to financial limitations, I'm going to have to give up my expensive
broadband connection in favor of {sigh} dial-up which will save me about
$50/month.

I still have my external v92 zoom serial modem from before I went
broadband. But now that my only working computer is my laptop I had the
problem of not having a serial port to connect it to.

I already tried to get my laptops internal {win}modem to work via Linmodem,
but failed miserably... Thus I acquired a usb/serial adapter cable, and used
it to connect my v92 modem. wvdialconf detected it OK. But I can't get it to
dial. With some experimentation based on some init strings I found online
and a brief modem command reference, I've been able to get the modem to at
least go off hook, by adding H1 to the Init2 string. Proving at least that
wvdial was attempting to control the correct device. But it didn't dial.
It complained that my dial string was invalid and disconnected...
Except that the modem didn't hang up (I listened to the phone company
recording about hanging up and dialing again...)
A little more experimentation reveled that if I used &C0 instead of &C1
it would hang up when it disconnects. But it still doesn't actually
dial. And still complains about my dial string. I have verified the 7
digit 'Phone = "7340102" ' string by manually dialing it with a
telephone and heard the sound of my ISP's modem attempting to
negotiate a connection. And, in my wvdial.conf, I have tried the string
both with and without quotes.

I've included {below} a copy of my wvdial.conf & pasted in the results
of my last attempt to use wvdial...

Could somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong?

=> My wvdial.conf (with password line modified of course):

[Dialer Defaults]
Init1 = ATZ
# Init2 as defined by wvdial.conf:
# Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
# Init2 modified: Without H1 stayed on hook. Without &C0 wouldn't hang up on disconnect...
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C0 &D2 H1 +FCLASS=0
Modem Type = Analog Modem
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
Baud = 115200
New PPPD = yes
# tried with and without  Carrier Check
Carrier Check = off
# tried with and without  Stupid Mode
Stupid Mode = on
Dial Command = ATDT
Phone = "7340102"
ISDN = 0
Username = jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Password = xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

=> A screen capture of my last wvdial attempt:

UnderTree =-> wvdial
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.61
--> Cannot get information for serial port.
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C0 &D2 H1 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C0 &D2 H1 +FCLASS=0
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATDT7340102
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT7340102
ERROR
--> Invalid dial command.
--> Disconnecting at Thu Jun  3 15:38:23 2010
UnderTree =->