[arch-general] dialup woes wvdial, external v92 modem connected via usb/serial adapter

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Fri Jun 4 00:39:28 EDT 2010

It would appear that on Jun 4, Ross did say:

> Perhaps you need pulse instead of tone dialing? If that is the case try
> setting Dial Command = ATDP

Thanks for the suggestion Ross. Though I don't see how that could be it...
All of my telephones use tone not pulse (I just double checked the one on
my desk, it's switchable, but the switch is set to the clearly marked
"tone" setting.

None the less, I suppose the modem itself might be malfunctioning in
some way that prevents tone dialing. So while I doubt pulse dialing is
the answer, I shall test this theory.

	. . .

UnderTree =-> wvdial
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.61
--> Cannot get information for serial port.
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C0 &D2 H1 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C0 &D2 H1 +FCLASS=0
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATDP7340102
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDP7340102
ERROR
--> Invalid dial command.
--> Disconnecting at Fri Jun  4 00:07:41 2010
UnderTree =->

Nope, wasn't that. {sigh} I do wish I could be sure what's wrong.

If anybody familiar with zoom brand external modems could confirm that
the wvdial.conf I included in my previous post "SHOULD" work, I might
conclude that my zoom modem may have developed a malfunction during
the years it spent collecting dust in the junk box under my desk.

In which case, I still have about a week to return the $39 usb/serial
adapter to staples where $59 will get me a new zoom v92 usb modem.
But if it turns out that there is something wrong with my wvdial.conf
that's causing the problem, (rather than a defective serial port modem)
then I've got better things to do with the $20 difference.

--
|    ~-~   ~-~       Guess I just don't know.
|    <?>   <?>     Joseph (the Wordy) Philbrook
|        ^                  J(tWdy)P
|       ___             <jtwdyp at ttlc.net>

       <sigh>