[arch-general] udev

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Tue Jun 8 02:41:29 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-06-08 at 15:16 +0900, Juan Diego Tascón wrote:
> Good day,
>
> I'm getting an error every time I plug-in my webcam as a result the
> corresponding module is not being loaded automatically so I have to
> load it by myself. Any one knows a way to fix this?
>
> This is the error:
>
> load-modules.sh: 'usb:v0AC8p305Bd0100dcFFdsc00dp00icFFiscFFipFF' is
> not a valid module or alias name

There's no kernel module for your webcam installed. You'll have to find
out what driver it uses and udev will load the driver when you hotplug
your webcam.
All modules have device aliases for the devices it supports. Udev just
tries to load a module by devicename and gives your error if it can't
succeed.