[arch-general] Bad Magic Number in Superblock - Any trick for Arch or for new kernels?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Jun 9 21:00:03 EDT 2010

On 06/09/2010 03:44 PM, Mauro Santos wrote:
> On 06/09/2010 07:16 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
>>
>> 	Before I add the drive to the heap of drives in my 'dead drive box' are there
>> any other silver bullets I should try to try and resurrect the drive? (Data
>> isn't an issue, it's all backed up :-)
>>
>> 	What say the gurus?
>>

> Try issuing a smart short test and see if it goes well, if it does
> finish without errors then issue a full smart self test and check for
> any smart attribute changes and/or errors.
>
> If that goes well, which seems to indicate that the drive is still ok,
> then use badblocks and let it do the 4 write and read passes, keep an
> eye on the smart attributes because any problem not detected before may
> show up now. If you get no errors or smart attribute changes then the
> drive should be ok.

Thanks Mauro,

	I do like badblocks. It saved my bacon once before. Rather than doing the
badblock recovery (since I have the data), what I think I'll do is search a bit
more for the 'fdisk -l' info for the drive. If I find it, I'll try recreating
the partitions and see what is left with the drive. If not, then I'll just add
the drive to the pile. Eventually I'll do some type of chronological art exhibit
with drives. Everything from 8 'Meg' MFMRLL drives to the new Seagate 500-750G
drives that drop like flies now for some reason :p

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC