[arch-general] Bad Magic Number in Superblock - Any trick for Arch or for new kernels?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sun Jun 13 04:39:24 EDT 2010

On 06/10/2010 05:20 PM, Gary Wright wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Axel Müller <axel-mueller-74 at web.de> wrote:
>
>> I think it was about 1 1/2 year ago when there was a big fuss about some
>> Seagate drive models going bad because of a firmware bug. Seagate
>> provided a firmware update for these. If you haven't allready done so,
>> you might want to check their knowledge base if your drives were affected
>> and if you somehow can resurrect them yourself.
>
> [1] Random blog post on the issue
> [2] Link to serial number validation tool to see if it was one of the
> affected units:
>
> [1] http://storagesecrets.org/2009/01/alert-seagate-barracuda-diamondmax-drives-dying-emergency-actions-required/
> [2] http://support.seagate.com/sncheck.html

Thanks Guys,

	I have an account with seagate (seeing how I have done this so many times) I
just type in my drive model and serial number info and they have a screen that
tells you (1) whether your drive is still covered, and (2) whether there are any
firmware updates that you might try.

	My luck lately has been (1) out of warranty just be 30 days - a couple of
months and (2) already had the latest firmware ... :-(

	But when you can throw them a Benjamin for a Terabyte of storage, the drives
are pretty much throw away at that point (too bad the quality had to drop to
reflect it ;-)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC