[arch-general] File Associations for firefox & thunderbird :)^

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Mon Jun 14 17:53:33 EDT 2010

Excerpts from Nilesh Govindarajan's message of 2010-06-14 18:28:24 +0200:
> On 06/14/2010 09:07 PM, Philipp Überbacher wrote:
> > Excerpts from Nilesh Govindarajan's message of 2010-06-14 17:09:26 +0200:
> >> I am a full time KDE user and I don't have GNOME or its libraries.
> >> Firefox and Thunderbird keep asking me to choose applications to open
> >> .pdf, .doc, .xls, http://, etc.
> >> Is there no package which can fix the file associations for FF and TB ?
> >
> > That's likely some xdg stuff. It usually works using gnome, KDE and xfce
> > but nothing else. KDE probably has some preferences thing somewhere,
> > otherwise you're pretty much as f..... as everyone who doesn't use a big
> > DE. Hurray for 'Desktop Integration'..
>
> I don't think so.
> xdg-settings --list gives on default-web-browser.

You can't use xdg-settings when you don't have one of the major DEs
running, xdg-open falls back to a hardcoded array of browsers in that
case. It's all quite awkward if you don't use gnome, kde or xfce.
I know, doesn't really help with your problem..
--
Regards,
Philipp

--
"Wir stehen selbst enttäuscht und sehn betroffen / Den Vorhang zu und alle Fragen offen." Bertolt Brecht, Der gute Mensch von Sezuan