[arch-general] Package signing for the umpteenth time (was Re: unrealircd 3.2.8.1-2 contains backdoor)

Denis A. Altoé Falqueto denisfalqueto at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 11:34:35 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 12:02 PM, Guillaume ALAUX <guillaume at alaux.net> wrote:
>> I think that we should avoid signing files remotely.
> Is there any precise reason? If it is because "that remote place could be
> compromised" well any dev computer could be compromized too !

The main reason is that we would need to keep a copy of the private
key for each sining key in the remote machine. Of course, the private
key is encrypted with the passphrase (a good one, if possible). That
would mitigate an immediate use of a compromised private key, but with
time, it can be cracked and used to sign files on behalf the real
owner of the key. You don't want to let the card of your bank account
on two places, do you? Even though theoretically only you have the
PIN.

--
A: Because it obfuscates the reading.
Q: Why is top posting so bad?