[arch-general] b43: wireless issues

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Fri Jun 18 10:49:11 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 08:55, Philipp Überbacher <hollunder at lavabit.com> wrote:
> Hi.
> I have the same chip and same issue. I found out that the b43 devs
> didn't figure out yet how to get the chip to work correctly, so unless
> something changed during the last weeks/months there's no real solution.
> Using the apparently slower PIO instead of DMA is a kernel compiletime
> option so far, but I read that as a workaround it's a module load option
> beginning with .34.
> It's a pity, the chip should have worked beginning with I afair .30. I
> wasted loads of time trying to get it to work, without luck.
> The broadcom driver works afair, but it annoyed me for some reasons.
> So for now I'm looking forward to .34 to hopefully have at least working
> wifi, even if slow.

I did find that there is a PIO-related option that I can put in
modprobe.conf, but that doesn't seem to be address the problem I have
(I also read that the b43 driver revert back to PIO automatically if
there are DMA problems).  Next step I'll try one of the daily
snapshots via the compat-wireless package.  If that doesn't work I'll
be very irritated indeed, enough so to volunteer my services to the
b43 devs for any testing they need to have done.

/M