[arch-general] PulseAudio in [extra]

Mauro Santos registo.mailling at gmail.com
Sat Jun 19 12:29:22 EDT 2010

On 06/19/2010 03:46 PM, Jan Steffens wrote:
> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 7:00 AM, Eric Bélanger <snowmaniscool at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 11:41 PM, Jan Steffens <jan.steffens at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> In this situation, we should go with a case by case approach. If
>> adding pulseaudio support to a package doesn't force the use of a
>> pulseaudio setup, then we build with it and add a pulseaudio
>> optdepends (or depends as required).  In cases like gnome-media, we
>> provide  a pulse and non-pulse version of the package.  Having both of
>> these versions in extra would enable us to use split PKGBUILD to build
>> them. So it will add no extra work for you.

Well, vlc seems to work fine if pulse is not present and vlc was
compiled with pulse support, but I maybe have done something wrong when
testing that, if pulse got into [extra] it may be worth a shot getting
vlc to support it "out of the box". However it seems a lot of other
programs will fail miserably in the same scenario or try to use pulse as
default which would upset many users I guess.

Also there is the case of some programs pulling jack when the user
doesn't need it (it just stays put though and doesn't get in the way),
so if pulse was in [extra] it might be possible to include that too for
vlc as an "optdepend". As always, some users wouldn't mind while others
would get really upset about that if it was a "depend".

--
Mauro Santos