[arch-general] PulseAudio in [extra]

Mauro Santos registo.mailling at gmail.com
Sat Jun 19 15:13:20 EDT 2010

On 06/19/2010 07:34 PM, Jan Steffens wrote:

> One of the problems of PulseAudio is that it pretty much becomes the
> default as soon as
> you install it. So I'm trying to avoid that, offering separate
> packages where needed.

I was also thinking about that, somehow pulse has the nasty habit of
starting with the DE or when called the first time (and then itself sort
of hijack the soundcard it is using). However like I said, at least vlc
(one of the 2 programs I do recompile with support for pulse, the other
is mplayer and it explodes if it doesnt find pulse) seems to be able to
cope with the absence of vlc in the system but I am well aware that
pulse support is not enabled in vlc because pulse is still in [community].

Likewise if other programs don't explode when they don't find pulse, it
would be a nice addition to have support for it enabled for the people
that choose to use pulse, this just in case it gets into [extra].

--
Mauro Santos