[arch-general] Slim login manager is logging everything

Jeroen Op 't Eynde jeroen at xprsyrslf.be
Sat Jun 19 15:28:42 EDT 2010

On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 21:01:53 +0200, Ananda Samaddar
<ananda at samaddar.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm using Slim as my login manager and it's logging absolutely
> everything.  Things like gstreamer and alsa errors.  This is making the
> log file huge, of the order of 8 gb when compressed.  Can anyone think
> of a solution?  I could always use the hack of putting the logfile
> in /tmp but I don't want to do that.  /var is not on a separate
> partition and I'm not prepared to re-partition my system.  Obviously
> with such large logfiles I'm getting performance issues.
>
> I'm an XFCE user so I'd like to avoid kdm and gdm. Are are there any
> other alternative X11 login apps other than xdm that don't depend on
> GNOME or KDE if I can't fix my issue with Slim?
>
> thanks,
>
> Ananda

I'm using xdm with a modified xdm-archlinux (blackified) theme since a
week or so. It is simple and it just works!
I've used Slim before and after that I didn't use anything, just
autologon, but that isn't really safe for a laptop. I'm not sure about the
log files, never took a look at it.

-- To read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Bottom-posting